EIT Urban Mobility is an initiative of the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT), a body of the European Union and Europe’s largest network for transport innovation in cities.
Our mission is to accelerate change towards a sustainable model of urban mobility and liveable urban spaces. We connect public and private actors and provide them with access to markets, talent, finance, and knowledge in four ways:
Using cities as living labs, our industry, research and university partners will demonstrate how new technologies can work to solve real problems in real cities by transporting people, goods and waste in smarter ways.
Join our team and be part of the change!
About the position
The Citizen Engagement Officer is part of the City Partnerships team and will serve as a key person in developing and implementing citizen engagement activities. This position will build capacity and support cities and EIT Urban Mobility Partners to engage with citizens and other civil society stakeholders on the sustainable mobility transition through interactions such as workshops, webinars, trainings, programmatic activities and the engagement of end users of urban mobility solutions.
The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic about finding new ways to make people passionate about the future of their cities, to facilitate behaviour change for sustainable mobility, and to connect citizen needs and perspectives with the broader ecosystem of companies, start-ups and cities to create more user-responsive solutions. In addition, we are looking for someone who has a strong interest and familiarity with the public sector (ideally city government), social innovation, community mobilization, and has experience engaging with people using a variety of participatory research methods.
The Citizen Engagement Officer will be an experienced professional who takes an active role in steering the success of the citizen engagement programme. Understanding of urban development and mobility and transport planning policies, as well as excellent communication and organisational abilities, will be vital skills in working with EIT Urban Mobility’s partner organisations. S/he will report directly to the Head of City Partnerships for day-to-day line management.
Be part of a team where you will:
- Develop and manage a portfolio of citizen engagement activities, including general project management and coordination, working with vendors on project delivery, monitoring and evaluating project performance, and documentation and knowledge dissemination;
- Maintain and further develop a central repository of activities and methods to engage with different citizen groups on the topic of sustainable urban mobility;
- Coordinate and lead citizen/end-user research to generate new insights and feedback to improve urban mobility solutions;
- Provide assistance to local administrations and organisations in developing and implementing community-based campaigns and citizen engagement activities;
- Lead knowledge sharing with EIT Urban Mobility partners and other EIT Urban Mobility stakeholders in Europe and internationally;
- Support the activities of other EIT Urban Mobility teams in their citizen-oriented activities on an ad-hoc basis, such as contributing to capacity building activities, facilitating workshops, or advising on research or other projects;
- Contribute to the broader activities of the City Partnerships team as needed;
- Work closely across the organisation to develop and implement EIT Urban Mobility’s strategic agenda.
What you will bring along the way:
An ideal candidate would strive to generate positive environmental and social impact in line with EIT Urban Mobility’s mission. We are looking for individuals with a “can do” attitude, who are passionate about effective communication, connecting stakeholders, disseminating knowledge and creating a more sustainable mobility future.
- Fluent in English (C2).
- At least 5 years of experience working in a field related to public administration, urban affairs, urban or transport planning and/or public participation.
- Experience in designing and implementing interactive engagement methodologies, including in-depth research methods (interviews, focus groups, observations, user testing, etc.).
- Familiarity with transport programmes and policies within European cities.
- Experience in project management, vendor management, and working collaboratively and effectively with partner organisations.
Nice to have:
- Any additional European language other than English C2.
- Experience with European projects and funding streams
- Flair for visual communication
- Proficiency with modern software, web tools, etc.
What’s in it for you:
- Work in an international environment with a company culture focused on empowerment, thriving and continuous growth.
- Join a creative and diverse team of highly driven individuals that take out-of-the-box thinking to another level.
- Strike the right Work-life balance: On top of the flexible hours and remote working options and facilities, you will be granted 27 days of paid time-off to rest and re-energize.
- A yearly training catalogue to support your career development.
Kindly note that this position is based in Brussels.
This is a permanent and full-time position, with possibility to work from home up to 3 days a week.
No relocation expenses are granted.
By the closing date of this call candidates must:
- be a national of an EU Member State or have a working permit valid to work in Belgium;
- enjoy their full rights as citizens;
To apply for this position, please download the application template from EIT Urban Mobility’s website.
Complete the four elements of the application:
- Personal contact details.
- An essential criteria checklist.
- A Cover Letter demonstrating how you match the skills defined in the job description – examples should be given.
- A curriculum vitae.
Follow the naming process detailed below:
|Format:||Save your completed application form in one single file in either PDF or Word format.|
|File name:||Name the file according to the model “first name_last name – EITUM_FirstName_LastName”. For example, Joanna Smith would name the file, EITUM_ Joanna_Smith”.|
|Email title:||The subject field should read “Citizen Engagement Officer. HR161-2023”.|
|Send to:||Send your completed application to: firstname.lastname@example.org.|
Deadline for Applications: 29 May 2023
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
AT EIT Urban Mobility, we value and celebrate diversity in every aspect of life and believe that everyone deserves an equal chance to succeed.
Here we value your talents, skills and experiences, and do not discriminate on any basis –whether it be disabilities or other special needs, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion or belief, age, language, political affiliation, property, marital status or any other irrelevant factor.
We are committed to creating an inclusive and supportive work environment where everyone can feel comfortable and thrive.
DATA PROTECTION DISCLAIMER
Your personal data will be processed with utmost care by the EIT KIC URBAN MOBILITY, S.L. or its subsidiaries.
The said processing will allow us to manage the recruitment of the offered positions, and more specifically:
- to enable you to submit your CV to apply for specific jobs;
- to match your details with the job vacancies and to eventually contact you;
- to retain your details and notify you about future job opportunities similar to the specific role for which you have contacted us;
- to answer your enquiries.
You can exercise your data protection rights, writing to email@example.com.
You may find further information in the full GDPR Compliance privacy note for applicants available here.