Doctoral Training Network
EIT Urban Mobility, supported by the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT), acts to accelerate positive change on mobility to make urban spaces more liveable by engaging cities and citizens, putting new mobility solutions into practice, and reclaiming public space for public use.
Doctoral candidates from EIT Urban Mobility partner universities partner universities who have signed the DTN Agreement are invited to join the Doctoral Training Network, starting in 2020. This is a great opportunity for you to broaden your education horizons by learning innovation and entrepreneurship skills. The initiative aims to bridge the gap between research and innovation and to extend your network within the urban mobility ecosystem. The programme includes a mandatory four- to six-month international placement to advance your research, expand your networks, and gain insights into the entrepreneurial world.
At the moment, doctoral candidates from the following universities are eligible to join the network: Aalto University, Czech Technical University in Prague, Eindhoven University of Technology, Ghent University, Institute of Information Theory and Automation, Israel Institute of Technology, Kaunas University of Technology, Politecnico di Milano, NFF Technical University of Braunschweig, Technical University of Munich, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, University of Lisbon, University of Tartu
Goals of the EIT Urban Mobility Doctoral Training Network
- Foster innovative and entrepreneurial mindsets based on the knowledge triangle (education, research, and business)
- Provide urban mobility researchers a platform for exchange and feedback on their individual research, as well as networking with practitioners and senior researchers
- Foster international and inter-sectorial experience through mobility exchange
What do we offer doctoral candidates?
- Join the sustainable urban mobility revolution and boost your personal and career prospects. Combine your current doctoral studies with customised training in innovation and entrepreneurship. The EIT Urban Mobility Doctoral Training Network is tailored for doctoral candidates who are within the field of urban mobility with a drive for business, entrepreneurship and societal innovation.
- The Doctoral Training Network provides doctoral candidates with an outstanding foundation for their future career. Programmes enable doctoral candidates to strengthen their technical expertise while fostering entrepreneurial and innovation skills, knowledge, and attitudes needed to ensure a sustainable future for the urban mobility sector. The innovative programme provides strong links to industry, cities, as well as international mobility and an annual networking event.
- The EIT labelled programme* offers a unique opportunity to deepen and extend your knowledge, gain credibility, and develop your business opportunities throughout Europe and beyond. The programme (courses and international placement) aims at the following EIT Overarching Learning Outcomes (OLOs):
1. Entrepreneurship Skills and Competencies
2. Innovation Skills and Competencies
3. Creativity Skills and Competencies
4. Intercultural Skills and Competencies
5. Making Value Judgments and Sustainability Competencies
6. Leadership Skills and Competencies
Complement your PhD programme and become part of a community that creates real solutions
for more sustainable urban mobility.
- By participating in the Doctoral Training Network, you can add the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT) Label Certificate* to your doctoral degree.
* Subject to EIT assessment and approval.
Who can apply to the Doctoral Training Network?
We encourage doctoral candidates to apply
- Who are registered at an EIT Urban Mobility partner university and enrolled in a PhD position, and who wish to add entrepreneurial, innovation and business skills
- Whose doctoral research relates to the field of urban mobility
- Who have 2 or more years left before completing their PhD dissertation
- Who are fluent in English
In order to obtain the EIT Label Certificate, the candidate must fulfill the following requirements
- Take part in at least two annual DTN Annual Forums
- Successfully complete the Innovation & Entrepreneurship course package of 30 ECTS
- Take part and complete at least one international placement lasting a minimum of four months to a maximum of six months funded by the Doctoral Training Network. The international placement can be split into two placements if desired.
How to apply?
Submit the following documents via e-mail to email@example.com no later than 11 December 2022.
- Curriculum vitae
- Motivation letter, highlighting your specific contributions within the field of urban mobility and your interest in innovation and entrepreneurship, in particular with reference to the above mentioned OLOs (e.g. How can you achieve these skills in the context of an international placement?). Your motivation letter should also include a high-level overview of your PhD dissertation (topic, objectives, methodology).
- Documentation certifying your enrolment in a PhD programme at a partner university. This could be a:
- Recent enrolment certificate
- Signed letter from the university
- Documentation indicating completion date of PhD, which could be:
- Acceptance letter to the university
- Employment contract with the university
- Enrolment forms
- Signed, self-written statement outlining the timeline of your PhD and expected completion date
- A letter of support from your supervisor stating your suitability for the EIT Urban Mobility Doctoral Training Network. The letter of support must explicitly give permission to participate in all required DTN activities, including international placements, training courses and the annual conferences.
- Proof of English proficiency, which could be:
- Certificate of language proficiency (for example, from a language school or similar institution)
- Signed, self-written declaration of language proficiency (in English)