Doctoral Training Network
EIT Urban Mobility, supported by the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT), accelerates positive change in mobility to make urban spaces more liveable. We do that by engaging cities and citizens, putting new mobility solutions into practice, and reclaiming public space for public use. Doctoral candidates from EIT Urban Mobility partner universities which have signed the DTN Agreement are invited to join the Doctoral Training Network, which started in 2020. This is an excellent opportunity to broaden your horizons and hone your innovation and entrepreneurship skills. The initiative aims to bridge the gap between research and innovation, and to help you extend your network within the urban mobility ecosystem. The programme includes a mandatory four-to-six months international placement to advance your research, expand your networks, and gain insights into the entrepreneurial world.
At the moment, doctoral candidates from the following universities are eligible to join the network: Aalto University, Czech Technical University in Prague, Eindhoven University of Technology, Ghent University, Israel Institute of Technology, NFF Technical University of Braunschweig, Technical University of Munich, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, University of Lisbon, and the University of Tartu.
Learn more about the programme here.
Who can apply to the Doctoral Training Network?
We welcome applications from doctoral candidates
– Who are registered at an EIT Urban Mobility partner university and enrolled in a PhD position, and who wish to gain entrepreneurial, innovation and business skills.
– Whose doctoral research relates to the field of urban mobility.
– Who have two or more years left before completing their PhD dissertation.
– Who are fluent in English.
In order to complete the programme and obtain the EIT Label Certificate, the candidate must fulfil the following requirements:
– Completion of Innovation & Entrepreneurship Modules
– Completion of one Intercultural Skills & Leadership course
– Completion of three elective courses
– 4-6 month international and cross‐organizational mobility
– Attending two DTN Annual Forums
– Completion of dissertation at base university
How to apply?
Submit the following documents starting 6 November 2023 and no later than 10 December 2023 on our admission website here.
- Curriculum vitae
- Motivation letter, highlighting your specific contributions within the field of urban mobility and your interest in innovation and entrepreneurship, particularly referncing the above-mentioned OLOs (e.g. How can you achieve these skills in the context of an international placement?). Your motivation letter should also include a high-level overview of your PhD dissertation (topic, objectives, methodology).
- Documentation certifying your enrolment in a PhD programme at a partner university. This could be a:
- Recent enrolment certificate
- Signed letter from the university
- Documentation indicating the completion date of PhD, which could be:
- Acceptance letter to the university
- Employment contract with the university
- Enrolment forms
- Signed, self-written statement outlining the timeline of your PhD and expected completion date
- A letter of support from your supervisor stating your suitability for the EIT Urban Mobility Doctoral Training Network. The letter of support must explicitly give permission to participate in all required DTN activities, including international placements, training courses and annual conferences.
- Proof of English proficiency, which could be:
- Certificate of language proficiency (for example, from a language school or similar institution)
- Signed, self-written declaration of language proficiency (in English)