Welcome to EIT Urban Mobility
Doctoral Training Network
Turning research into innovations
The EIT Urban Mobility Doctoral Training Network is a collective of universities, academics, and PhD candidates that seeks to promote innovation and entrepreneurship in the field of urban mobility based on the knowledge triangle (education, research, and business). The programme provides urban mobility PhD candidates with a platform for exchange on their individual research, and networking opportunities with practitioners and senior researchers. The programme includes a four-to-six months international research placement and an annual forum event.
Which universities are involved in the Doctoral Training Network?
The Doctoral Training Network is comprised of fourteen leading universities across Europe: Aalto University, Czech Technical University in Prague, Eindhoven University of Technology, Ghent University, Israel Institute of Technology, Politecnico di Milano, NFF Technical University of Braunschweig, Technical University of Munich, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, University of Lisbon, and the University of Tartu.
Why join the Doctoral Training Network?
The Doctoral Training Network offers PhD candidates the unique opportunity to connect with their international counterparts at universities throughout Europe, and to join the sustainable urban mobility revolution while strengthening technical expertise and fostering entrepreneurial and innovative skills. The customisable programme complements your PhD research and makes you part of a community that creates real solutions for more sustainable urban mobility.
The programme aims at the following EIT Overarching Learning Outcomes (OLOs):
1. Entrepreneurship Skills and Competencies
2. Innovation Skills and Competencies
3. Creativity Skills and Competencies
4. Intercultural Skills and Competencies
5. Making Value Judgments and Sustainability Competencies
6. Leadership Skills and Competencies
The Doctoral Training Network offers PhD candidates:
- The opportunity to boost their personal and career prospects by joining this expanding network of academics, with strong links to industry, city governments, and international mobility providers, as well as the opportunity to attend the DTN Annual Forum
- An attractive and thorough innovation and entrepreneurship training programme
- International placement throughout Europe, including a monthly grant of € 1,000-1,400 (depending on destination country)
- The possibility to add the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT) Label Certificate* to your doctoral degree
- A broad and exciting offering of courses relating to urban mobility to extend their knowledge, gain credibility, and develop their business opportunities throughout Europe and beyond.
* Subject to EIT assessment and approval.
The Doctoral Training Network aims to foster innovative and entrepreneurial mind-sets by promoting experience-learning and funding international research placements
How to apply and eligibility requirements
The ideal candidate should be a driven student interested in studying urban mobility and innovation in an international context. Interested candidates should be fluent in English, possess excellent communication skills, as well as have the ability to address problems with an entrepreneurial mindset.
Eligible candidates need to submit an application, including a curriculum vitae, a motivation letter, and a certificate of enrollment as a PhD student. Additionally, the candidate’s supervisor must submit a letter of support.
Applications for the upcoming call will be open in November 2023, more details will be announced soon.
Detailed information about eligibility requirements, required application materials, and submission timelines can be found here.