EIT Food, EIT manufacturing and EIT Urban Mobility
join forces on SUPERNOVAS to bring more women into
the entrepreneurship ecosystem.
Supernovas is a programme that aspires to promote an entrepreneurial ecosystem with more women to shape the available innovations in the market.
We deliver 4 activities:
- Startup Stairway: We identify startups and scaleups from high-tech or deep-tech fields and match them with young women from STEAM careers. We want to expose them to a startup experience early in their careers, in order to inspire them and foster their entrepreneurial spirit.
- Rocket up: We support entrepreneurs to entry a new European market with a solid strategy and local validation of the product and service. The goal is to have more women entrepreneurs growing and getting funded.
- Women2Invest: We aim, to help women start their careers in venture investment as well as to promote their inclusion in investor teams.
- Mentoring for women leaders: offers EIT community women access to a broad network, mentoring, coaching and training opportunities to take their managerial and leadership skills to the next level.
We want to do this using a transversal approach that focuses on:
- Capacity building
- Connecting present and future women leading the entrepreneurship ecosystem
It also articulates a support system for women to enter and scale positions in the ecosystem, while at the same time, opening up the scope of roles that need to be more populated with women. All in all, we want to help participants in this programme to gather financial support, provide them with information and education recommendations and create networking opportunities.
Why Supernovas? Unleashing women's potential
SUPERNOVAS seeks to unleash the potential of women, in order to break barriers and increase female presence in the entrepreneurship, innovation and investment ecosystem.
Women are currently very underrepresented both in deep-tech entrepreneurship and venture investment, and these two facts reinforce each other:
- Only 15% of deeptech startups are founded or co-founded by women
- Women-led startups raise less funding that their male counterparts – across Europe, only 2% of venture capital goes to all-female teams and around 5% to mixed teams.
- Venture Capitals lack gender diversity globally: 85% of investment committees are all-male and only 13% of VC partners are female
We aim to help change this picture by: by helping build the next generation of women-led deeptech startups and giving women in the early stages of their career access to roles in both the entrepreneurial and investment sides of the ecosystem. We hope some of them will, through this experience, consider becoming entrepreneurs themselves. And we will support the women who have already taken the step to found their businesses fulfil that role and scale-up their businesses.
The Startup Stairway activity is designed to foster female activity as entrepreneurs by exposing them to startup experience early in their careers. The project aims to identify startups and scaleups from high-tech or deep-tech fields and matching them with young women from STEAM careers. Furthermore, when appropriate, it will co-fund the placement.
How we do it?
We are are offering 60 internships, for young women from science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics (STEAM) careers to support their first (or second) job in a start-up. Sixty participants (a minimum of 50 % from RIS countries or regions) will be selected to undertake an internship, for at least 3 months in high-tech & deep tech start-ups. This will focus in increasing their presence in start-ups deemed as deep tech where women’s presence is lower.
- To young women from STEAM careers the professional experience to work at start-ups or scale-ups deemed as high & deep-tech.
- To start-ups / scale-ups a unique environment to select future employees to bring a wider scope to their teams, women with top resumés and academic performance who have a STEAM background.
Rocket-up is a 3 month programme that supports innovative female-led ventures who wants to internationalize, by providing tailored mentoring and connecting them with leading corporate partners and cities of EIT communities. The goal of the Programme is to successfully support entrepreneurs to entry a new European market with a solid strategy and local validation of the product and service.
Women2Invest is an access and training activity aimed at:
- Helping women start their careers in venture investment
- Giving investors access to a pool of promising women that will add diversity to their investment teams.
Women to Invest in a nutshell
- Identification and selection of a pool of participants with STEAM degrees and no previous investment education or experience
- Training: fundamentals of investment through a combination of masterclasses by top-notch practitioners, simulation of investment processes and role play (more detail here). Powered by Diversity VC Iberia.
- Mentoring and networking with seasoned investment professionals
- Investment experience: a paid investment internship or job with a Venture Capital fund, Corporate Venture Capital fund or Corporate Venturing unit.
Which type of investors are we looking for?
- Venture Capital funds, Corporate Venture Capital funds and Corporate Venturing units:
- Seeking new hires and committed to improve the gender-balance of their investment teams.
- Offering paid internships in investment related positions for at least 2 months (as long as funds identify suitable candidates within the pool).
- Committing to pay at least the minimum wage of their country.
- Agreeing to allow candidates to combine training and internship (if coinciding).
You can find more details in the Terms and Conditions.
Interested? Please register your interest here
Mentoring for women leaders
As part of our ongoing efforts in the field, EIT has partnered with the European Innovation Council (EIC) to create synergies between their powerful entrepreneurship communities and enhance the participation of EIT alumni in the EIC Women Leadership Programme.
The programme offers EIT community women access to a broad network, mentoring, coaching and training opportunities to take their managerial and leadership skills to the next level. Selected participants will be matched with mentor and experts to boost their potencial and expand the opportunities to engage with peers and key stakelholders for their development.
The services if the programme will be offered jointly by EIC and EIT and are open to women leading startups and research teams.
Entrepreneurship Project ManagerEIT Food South
Cross-KIC Project Manager CLC WestEIT Manufacturing
& Circular EconomyEIT Manufacturing
Business Creation Project OfficerEIT Urban Mobility