By the present procurement procedure, EIT Urban Mobility is aiming to identify a provider / contractor who can deliver services as National Secretary to the EIT Community RIS Hub in Malta. The role of the National Secretary is to run and coordinate the EIT Community RIS Hub as part of a project initiated by the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT).
As EIT RIS is receiving a stronger mandate and additional resources under the EIT Strategic Innovation Agenda (SIA) 2021-2027, the EIT has published a set of minimum standards and guiding principles for the EIT RIS Hubs to serve as a common strategic approach, which underpins the establishment and operation of all EIT Community RIS Hubs from 2023.
At the core of these minimum standards and guiding principles there is a framework which encourages and facilitates the gradual launch of EIT Community RIS Hubs to cover all EIT RIS eligible countries and territories by the end of 2025. Each EIT Community RIS Hub will be run and coordinated by a National Secretary chosen by the Cross-KIC Strategic Regional Innovation Cluster.
The support that is required and requested should cover the following areas and tasks. All tasks will be in full coordination with the EIT Urban Mobility (as Contracting Authority) and the Cross-KIC RIS Steering Committee to ensure strategic fit and alignment of the selected Contractor, activities, timing, and execution.
The National Secretary’s tasks are defined in the Minimum Standards and Guiding Principles for the EIT RIS Hubs, published in September 2022 and shall be used to measure the successful operation of the National Secretary. (see Annex 3)
The National Secretary will act independently of any EIT KIC, and at the same time will represent all the KICs to ensure impartiality and avoid conflict of interests.
The detailed list of tasks and objectives are listed in the sub-sections below.
Internal communication and coordination (National Secretary, RIS Hub Community members and EIT KIC offices)
- Develop a good understanding of the EIT model and keep up to date with the KICs activities.
- Form good working relations with all EIT Community RIS Hub Community members, and other EIT KIC offices present in the same ecosystem both nationally and regionally.
- In consultation with the EIT Community RIS Hub Community members, and other EIT KIC offices present in the same ecosystem, establish a smooth and efficient working method which limits the administrative burden on the EIT Community RIS Hub Community members, and other EIT KIC offices, while supporting their minimum functions.
- Design an appropriate work method and necessary tools for information sharing / coordination to facilitate continuous information exchange between the Hub Community members, EIT RIS Hubs and other EIT KIC offices present in the same ecosystem both nationally and regionally.
- Set up and maintain a physical space, in a city accepted by the Cross-KIC Strategic Regional Innovation Cluster and the EIT, after having consulted with the national authorities, where local stakeholders, including EIT National Contact Points (NCPs), can physically, walk-in to obtain information on, as well as gain access to the EIT Community, while additionally, aiding with the EIT’s on-the-ground visibility and branding.
In the tendering stage of the procedure, pre-qualified applicants will be requested to share their ideas about the physical space of the National Secretary’s office – including a cost estimate – in their offer.
The Cross-KIC Strategic Regional Innovation Cluster can decide to use the offered option or to suggest hosting for the EIT Community Hub, if a better option is given.
Communication and dissemination
- The National Secretary serves as a centralised contact gateway for local stakeholders to the EIT Community as a whole, and refers stakeholders to contact persons within other relevant EIT KICs, best suited to support their needs.
- Collect information to share through applicable channels related the EIT KICs’ activities, events, results and opportunities of interest to local stakeholders with a view to their dissemination internally and externally.
- Coordinate and support the EIT RIS Hubs local joint communication efforts, including by: managing and updating the EIT Community RIS Hub website, in the local language, with information on EIT Community activities and opportunities, including dedicated sections targeted towards specific stakeholders, including, students, start-ups, national authorities and so on; facilitating the organisation of EIT Community awareness-raising events, including possible open days within the context of INNOVEIT (the EIT’s annual innovation forum), and coordinating and supporting the participation of EIT Community representatives in relevant national events;
- Coordinate the collection of local funding opportunities and relevant key national events and bring these to the attention to the local Hub Community members, EIT RIS Hubs and other EIT KIC offices.
- Scout for and recommend to the EIT KICs opportunities to implement joint projects financed through other EU / national / regional funds including the European Structural and Investment Funds (ESIF) and Instrument for Pre-accession Assistance (IPA III);
- Contribute to, support and where appropriate, with the agreements of the EIT KICs, lead any horizontal exploratory efforts towards securing co-funding opportunities, including securing meetings with relevant national / regional authorities and facilitate the preparation for the submission of joint proposals for national / regional funding in case of general Cross-KIC actions.
- To the greatest extent possible, ensure a coordinated approach amongst the EIT KICs’ RIS Hubs towards national authorities including relevant NCPs and Managing Authorities.
- Identify the need for and facilitating the implementation of shared services for Hub members with a view to improve efficiency.
- Suggest and support, including, where appropriate and with the agreement of the EIT KICs, lead, the implementation of possible joint activities amongst the EIT KICs, to be implemented nationally and / or regionally, aligned with relevant RIS3 priorities.
Local intelligence gathering
- At the request of the EIT KICs, support any necessary updating of the local country‐specific roadmap and support with its implementation, as appropriate.
- Upon request, provide support, additional to that already offered by the EIT RIS Hubs, to the EIT and the EIT KICs with navigating the local innovation landscape, including by contributing to the development of EIT maps / ecosystem mapping.
- Any other tasks mandated by the EIT Management which, in principle, supports the EIT RIS Hubs to contribute to the achievement of the EIT’s Objectives and implementation of its Strategy and Annual work programmes.
All information, including the detailed scope of work, deliverables, and terms & conditions can be found in the pre-qualification notice.
Deadline for submissions: 25 July 2023 16:00HS (CET)