The New European Bauhaus initiative (NEB) is an environmental, social and cultural initiative to combine the aesthetic experience, sustainability, and inclusivity complimenting the European Green Deal. For this Cross-KIC NEB activity, EIT Urban Mobility will capitalise on existing citizen-centred engagement programmes aligned with the NEB mission.
This Cross-KIC NEB call will offer region, cities or affiliated entities the possibility to select one of these project solutions to drive a specific challenge in their own urban transformation. Cities and regions can benefit from existing work aiming for rapid impact within 2021. Examples of expected outcome would be higher use rates, physical facilities improvement, urban greening, more inclusive access, and active mobility take-up.
The three existing invested solutions are outlined below and further detailed in the call document and the supporting documents.
- CLEAR (City LivEAbility by Redesign) is a citizen engagement tool for co-design and planning public space. CLEAR offers real-life transition experiments in urban streets through a “Co-Design” webtool. It aims to democratise the urban design process for all citizens. Based on a real-world location/case (to be defined by cities), a co-creation platform will be digitally tested with a defined stakeholder base.
- RAPID (RApid Prototyping in 3D) uses rapid prototyping in 3D to support city decision-making. It enables citizens to understand proposed changes and interventions in their immediate built environment. It provides the possibility to explore new urban designs in response to public demand, use and behaviour patterns. RAPID uses a library of 3D city assets with regulation guidance to allow different options and interventions to understand citizen behaviours.
- FURNISH (Fast Urban Responses for New Inclusive Spaces and Habitat) works with ‘tactical urbanism’ to reconfigure public space/s connected to schools or educational centres. The aim is to expand pedestrian and leisure space, improve movement, and engage local makers and digital manufacturers via the quick and effective deployment of urban furniture.
These three solutions will be presented in a call info session and matchmaking event (11 June from 10:00 to 11:30 CET. To register click here). Following the session, cities will have the possibility to make direct contact with our partner organisations. This will allow detailed discussion of potential projects and their viability within the guidance, time frame and objectives.
KICs partners and non-partners are eligible to apply. Applications from RIS countries are positively encouraged. Applications are eligible from consortia of two legal entities formed by:
- a city in the EU Member States, or Horizon Europe Associated Countries as a lead partner.
- a partner representing solutions from CLEAR, FURNISH or RAPID.
The lead partner must provide:
- an approved public realm infrastructure project to be implemented before December 2022 to apply the solutions CLEAR or RAPID, which aim to facilitate co-design and co-creation through citizen engagement (by December 2021) and to inform decision-making processes to the implementation of the project (December 2022).
- the availability of 2 physical public spaces of around 25sqm connected to entrances or exits of schools or other educational centres available to apply FURNISH, which output would be custom-built urban furniture.
Partners representing CLEAR, FURNISH or RAPID can form part of several consortia, whilst cities can only submit one application to form one consortium.
Details of Cross KIC NEB Call:
List of supporting documents
List of documents to be submitted
Letter of Intent from regions, cities or affiliated entities
Budget allocation 90.000 EUR with a maximum of 30.000 EUR for each proposal
- 30% Overall quality of application
- 40% Expected impact of the project
- 20% Existing or planned citizen engagement activities
- 10% Resources for management/marketing
Based on ranking, the geographical spread within the European Union will also be considered.
- Call opening: 11 May 2021
- Call info session and matchmaking event: 11 June 2021 at 10:00 CET (register here)
- Closing call: 10 July 2021
- Eligibility and admissibility check: 12 – 14 July 2021
- Evaluation: 15 – 20 July 2021
- Communication of results to the participants: 21 – 22 July
- Start of project: 16 August- 1 September (latest)
- Finalise project: 31 December 2021 (latest)
Proposals should be submitted by email to: NEBcall4cities2021@eiturbanmobility.eu